At this moment, if I were to make a list of my favorite things, they would probably include…
1. Good food 2. Almond flavored desserts 3. Making food for people
I got a good start on that tonight. A family from my class came over tonight for dinner and I used any excuse I could to cook. I cooked up a whole chicken in my Le Creuset (oven) from Gerber’s via OTVM, alongside onions and doused it with Virginia barbecue sauce from Montebello Kitchens (highly recommend it–delicious).
Dessert, however, was probably the best part–and I want to pass along this recipe to you. It was a fantastic use of local organic strawberries. And, remember how I mentioned I was trying that red currant jam and I’d get back to you on it? Well, I used it here with great success. Dessert was a Frangipane (almond-filling) Tart, recipe courtesy of Epicurious. You can find it here. Keep in mind the following modifications:
- I used strawberries, no raspberries (not in season here–don’t think our strawberry and raspberry season overlaps locally)
- Skipped the Amaretto because I didn’t have any, and approximately doubled the almond extract
- Instead of blanching and grinding almonds, I purchased a bag of almond meal and used that
- Used a prepared pie-crust
- Brushed the arranged fruit with melted red currant jam. Yum!!
Sam, my resident food paparazzi, supplies you with the following shot:
Especially with the above modifications, it was a simple dessert to make with great payoff. Let me know if you give it a try!